Maple syrup, national parks, beautiful lakes and mountains, cold winters and of course, hockey! That is what you should be looking forward to if you decide to go to Canada. Today, a growing number of international students venture into the country every year. Many of them are able to settle in Canada after their studies.  

Why study in Canada? 

Canada is home to 21 of the world’s top 500 universities. They offer some of the world’s best programmes and is one of the most welcoming countries in the world. Other than its beautiful cities and beautiful lakes, Canada offers two to three years stay back.  

If the duration of the course is more than 8 months and less than 2 years, you can stay back as song the duration of the course. If the course is 2 years or more than 2 years, you will get 3 years of stay back. Majority of Canadian institutions commences study in September, January or may. Some programs offer intakes outside of those dates as well, so keep an eye out on all the application deadlines and commencements.  

Application Process 

The application process when applying to Canada is quite simple and much less stressful than the US.  

Remember we will be there with you every step of the way. So go ahead and get ready to start living your dream! 

Choose a program: The first step of the application process is actually choosing your program. Make sure to present a strong case for choosing to study here in the program that you chose.  

Apply to the institution: Once the program is decided, you have to apply for the school that you want to apply in. You will need to receive a letter of acceptance to go to the next step of the application process. The letter of acceptance should be from a designated learning institution (DLI). After which you can proceed to apply for a study permit. 

Apply for a Study permit: Once you receive the letter of acceptance you will be ready to apply for a study permit. When applying for a study permit, you must first make sure you are eligible to apply. If your study program has a duration of less than six months or less, you are not required to apply for a study permit. If the study takes longer than six months, make sure you receive it before the initial six months have passed. 

Acceptance letter: The letter must be from DLI in order to apply for a study permit. Remember that you cannot apply for a study permit without an acceptance letter. Check the start dates and application process of each of the institutions you are applying to. Every institution offers different deadlines. Make sure you have ample time to apply for a study permit before the commencement of your classes.  

Proof of financial support: You will be asked to provide documentation which proves that you have sufficient funds to cover the tuition fees and living cost for yourself. If there are any accompanying family members, you must provide their documentation too. The funds can either be in your name or the name of a family member or a close friend. 

Supporting documentation: You might need to submit other documents which may vary from country to country. 

The visa officer will then ensure you meet the requirements. 

How much does it cost? 

The good thing about Canada (other than its delicious maple syrup!) is that studying here is affordable. The fee structure in the country is lower than that of Australia, US and the UK. But Canada still remains the 26th most expensive country to live in the world.  

The average annual tuition fees for an undergraduate international is around $30,000 CAD. The monthly housing cost for a student in Toronto is between $1,080 to $2,982 CAD while in other smaller cities, the estimate is around $600 CAD. But even still, there are numerous other ways to fund your studies through scholarships and other aids. 


Like the US and the UK, Canada also offers financial aids to their students. There are needs based scholarships which will require you to submit proof of your income. You can also opt for merit-based scholarships which awards you financial aid based on your marks. Scholarships that are awarded directly by the universities ask for different requirements. For more information, visit our blog.  

Language requirements 

Unlike the US or the UK, to study in Canada, you will need to be proficient in Either English or French. If you are from an English-speaking country, you do not have to submit proof of language skills. If not, you may have to take the IELTS test. For French, you can choose DALF, DELF or TEF. TEF is the most common option for international students.  

If you are thinking of studying in Canada or have any questions, feel free to contact us here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *